Everyone wants to talk about Donald Trump ... or NOT talk about Donald Trump. When we were in Mexico, everyone wanted to talk to us Americans about Trump. He is an international laughingstock, but his actions are not funny in the least.
In our house, we sometimes have to declare a "Trump-free" zone, just to get some relief from the almost constant, self-inflicted barrage of NYT-LAT-WSJ-MSNBC-CNN-NPR-FOX-Huff Po-Daily Beast-Talking Points Memo-Real Clear Politics-Daily Kos-Sirius Left-Sirius POTUS-Politifact-and Drudge.
But sometimes one has to face reality. Here is a partial list of some things that have happened in the first 137 days of the presidency of Donald J. Trump.
• Withdrawn the USA from the Paris Climate Accords, joining Syria and Nicaraugua as the only three countries to oppose the world-wide pact
• Fired the head of the FBI who was investigating his campaign's ties to Russia, with no replacement in sight
• Leaked intelligence about the Manchester bomber, leading the UK to stop sharing intelligence with the US
• Tried to impose a ban on immigration from six Muslim-majority countries, only to be struck down by the court system multiple times
• Offended traditional American allies such as NATO, the UK, France, Germany, Mexico, Canada, and Australia
• Settled a fraud case for $25 million over "Trump University"
• Failed to staff nearly 2,000 vacant Executive branch positions, including the heads of FEMA and NOAA as hurricane season begins
• Permitted and/or encouraged his son-in-law Jared Kushner to attempt to set up a secret back channel with Russia, outside monitoring by US security agencies.
• Did nothing for 18 days after he learned that his National Security Advisor Michael Flynn was a possible blackmail target by the Russians
• Had his daughter Ivanka meet with the Chinese president the same day that her company won trademarks from the Chinese government.
• Named a climate denialist to head the Environmental Protection Agency, an enemy of public education to head the Department of Education, and an enemy of working people as Secretary of Labor
• Unveiled a tax-reform plan on the 96th day of his presidency that was less detailed than the blueprint he had campaigned on
• Declared the mainstream media the "enemy of the American people."
• Hiked mortgage premiums on homebuyers borrowing money from government
• Removed all Spanish content from the White House website
• Broke from decades of US foreign policy by abandoning a two-state solution for the Israel/Palestine conflict
• Skipped the release of the annual Human Rights Report
• Gave his daughter Ivanka an office in the White House and a security clearance — while keeping her immune from conflict-of-interest laws.
• Sought lobbying waivers for seventeen of his staff members – after vowing many times to "drain the swamp"
• Threatened to sabotage America's insurance markets as a means of coercing Democrats into voting for his plan to finance a large tax cut for the rich by throwing millions off Medicaid.
• Appointed a budget director who argued that cutting funding to Meals on Wheels is "probably one of the most compassionate things we can do."
• Held a nuclear strategy session in the public dining room of his Florida resort.
• Played golf twenty-three times